Now build the handle axle, by adding to a red rod:
1. An orange connector, side-on. 2. A blue rod to the other end of the orange connector. 3. Two blue spacers. 4. Two silver spacers. 5. A yellow connector, with three green rods attached as shown. 6. Another blue spacer
7. a red gear. 8. a tan clip, with the pin pointing towards the red gear as shown.
Slide the tan clip so that it engages with the red gear, and add:
9. Another yellow connector, with three green rods attached as shown. 10. A snap cap black.
The handle axle can now be fitted to the frame, as shown.
Now build the spinner axle, by adding to a red rod:
1. A snap cap black. 2. A yellow connector. 3. A small blue gear. 4. A tan clip, with the pin pointing towards the blue gear as shown.
Slide the tan clip so that it engages with the blue gear, and add:
5. Another yellow connector. 6. Two silver spacers. 7. Another tan clip, with the pin pointing away from the blue gear as shown.
The spinner axle can now be fitted to the frame.
Test that the gears engage by turning the handle. It should feel slightly stiff to turn.
Now build the spinner frame
add the four reels of thread into the frame
and secure it onto the end of the spinner axle with a blue spacer and a snap cap black.
Now carefully pull a thread from each of the four reels, and tie them together with a knot.
Pass the knot through the hole in the yellow connector at the front of the frame, and turn the handle whilst holding onto the knot, so that the threads start to twist together as shown.
Whilst continuing to turn the handle:
1. Pull the knot along the side of the frame and through the hole in the purple clip
2. and then through the hole in the orange connector
3. and then pull the knot across the frame to the handle axle, where it can be attached to the red rod by trapping it under a purple clip.
Your rope-spinning machine is now complete.
You will find that turning the handle twists the threads together, and at the same time, winds the "rope" around the handle axle.
Could you improve your model so that it spins eight reels of thread together?